Monday, November 21, 2011

Do I need to see a dermatologist for my acne?

I%26#039;ve had moderate acne on my back and face since I was about 11. I%26#039;m concerned because I%26#039;m now almost 18, and I don%26#039;t seem to be outgrowing it. I wash and moisturize my face every day, eat a healthy diet, and take a daily multivitamin. I only use noncomedogenic products and makeup. Acne gets worse near my period, and sometimes I get very painful pimples on my back. I%26#039;ve tried over-the-counter topical treatments like Proactiv, but they never work. Do I need to see a dermatologist, or is this normal?|||I%26#039;ve had this same exact problem since I was 11 as well (I%26#039;m almost 20 now). I went to a dermatologist when I was 12 for another problem and they saw my face (I didn%26#039;t think anything of my acne at that time) and prescribed a clear ointment. Let me tell you, that ointment did absolutely NOTHING. I eventually experimented some over-the-counter solutions over the years like Clean and Clear, Oxy pads, St. Ives scrubs, Aveeno pads, some Noxzema products, and many others. I have to admit that out of all of them Oxy pads worked quite well. I did have a habit of squeezing pimples and blackheads though so it left significant scarring which nothing so far has been able to help. But if you need help with only acne, then please try using Oxy pads. I%26#039;ve never tried ProActive or Accutane so I can%26#039;t tell you how that works, but you might want to check that out too. If the OTC solutions do not work, then you should check out a dermatologist and see what they would recommend. Honestly though, I still think a lot of over-the-counter products work the best for moderate acne (if it%26#039;s severe, I think doctors give you birth control pills)|||Don%26#039;t take risks. Just see a dermatologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment